Monday, February 21, 2011

Ain't it Funny?

   So, when I was in high school I was obsessed with football. Wait... let me rephrase that. So, I am obsessed with football. (Much better) After my senior year of football I attracted some attention from some small schools to come and play football. I had it narrowed down to two: Rhodes College in Memphis, TN or Sewanee University located a ways south of Manchester, TN. I did not really care about an education I just wanted to play football. Rhodes turned out to be too expensive even with scholarship money so it was down to Sewanee. Much to my chagrin, so was Sewanee. So I ended up spending my first year at Middle Tennessee State University. This all worked out, even though I could not see it at the time. The next year I transferred to Cumberland University, in Lebanon, TN, to play football. I later graduated and decided to go to law school and will graduate in May.
   The thing is, without the initial disappointment of missing out on my two favorite schools I wouldn't be where I am today. Have you ever heard the expression, you can't see the forest because of the trees? That was essentially my problem. And I would say that many others have the same problem.  We are so focused on what we want to do, and our goals for our lives (the trees) that we fail to see God's plan for our life (the forest). God has a specific plan for each and every one of us, and that plan is reached by a path pre-ordained by our Father. We have no idea where that path is going, and most of the time we cannot even see it, but God knows exactly where it is going and where it will eventually end. Our job is to let go and not focus on the pain of not getting what we think we need, and let God direct our lives to our true purpose. And you know what, it's funny how it all works out.  
   "And we all know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose."  Romans 8:28

1 comment: