Thursday, February 10, 2011

Age

   So I turned 26 the other day. I am now officially four years from being 30. And I am okay with that. Age is nothing. As cliche as it sounds, age really is just a number.
   Think about everything we have learned as we have gotten older. And, as the saying goes, we learn something new everyday. Just think about how much knowledge we will gain as we get older. I like the fact that we will never have all of the answers, even if we live to be 106, we will continue to learn.
   I joke with my wife Carie that my goal is to live until I am 120. And while this is probably a little unrealistic, how cool would that be? Think about everything that people over 90 have seen: two world wars, a depression, Pearl Harbor, the assassination of a president, our first African-American president, the first man on the moon, and all of the advances in technology. I want that to be me one day.
   Why is there any reason to be upset about getting older? So we may not be able to do some of the things we used to be able to do, but we gain so much in exchange. Many of us are or will get married. We will grow old with the love of our life (little shout out to mine!). Most will eventually have kids and watch them grow into amazing people. And when we are old, and hopefully haven't screwed our kids up too much, we will be surrounded by the family that we love and hold so dear. We have no reason to fear or dread getting older. Some of the coolest people I know are over 40. Besides, isn't 40 the new 20?

No comments:

Post a Comment